Welcome to our most exciting event for new Wildcats! ROAR is PRCC’s New Student Orientation. This is where students will learn important information to prepare them for the first day of school as well as be advised and register for their classes.
This information is for students starting classes in January 2022. If you plan to start classes in March 2022, the application will open on March 1, 2022.
What to Expect During Your ROAR Experience
1. Register for ROAR in your RiverGuide account upon receiving your log-in credentials. Be sure admissions have received all required documents (transcripts & test scores) – highly recommended: complete FAFSA prior to ROAR.
Trouble logging into RiverGuide? Check out our RiverGuide Troubleshooting tips below!
2. Complete your ROAR Experience in Canvas. You’ll gain access to the ROAR Experience beginning in November and watch helpful and important videos that will guide you through getting prepared for your advisement appointment. In RiverGuide, click the Canvas icon to get started.
3. Attend your advising appointment to register for classes. You'll have a one-on-one meeting with an advisor who will answer all your questions and make sure you are prepared for your first day of class!
4. Finally, we suggest you visit campus to get your ID and parking decal. While you are on campus, we would also recommend taking a campus tour and visiting the Wildcat Den Bookstore to pick up any books you might need. *This final step is optional and not required for fully online students.
In your ROAR Experience course, you will schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor at a time that is convenient for you!
Visit our ROAR Checklist page for more details about your ROAR Experience!
Having trouble logging in to RiverGuide? Try these tips first:
1. Use either Firefox or Chrome Internet browser. Internet Explorer will produce more errors than one of the other browsers listed.
2. Click “Sign In” only ONCE. Multiple clicks will result in an authentication error.
3. Make sure you are entering the correct username and password.
4. Clear the cache/cookies in your web browser. Use the help feature in your browser to find instructions on how to clear your cache/cookies).
5. If you are still having trouble logging in, do not change your password. Contact the IT Helpdesk at 601-403-1800. They can help you reset your password in a more effective way.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is ROAR?
- How do I sign up for ROAR?
- Who should participate?
- How long will ROAR take?
- What will I learn at ROAR?
- What is a ROAR Express session?
- Will I be able to get the schedule I need?
- What do I need to have on hand for ROAR?
- Can my parents or a guest sit in on my virtual advising appointment?
- When can I apply for housing?
- When can I get a parking decal?
- When can I pay my bill?
- I am registered for ROAR, but I need to change my major. How can I make this change?
- I plan to be a Fully Online student, do I still need to participate in ROAR?
Q: What is ROAR?
A: ROAR stands for Ready, Orient, Advise, Register. ROAR is PRCC’s new student orientation. Here you will begin your journey as a new freshman where you will learn about campus resources, academic expectations, how to get involved on campus, and register for classes.
Q: How do I sign up for ROAR?
A: Use your PRCC RiverGuide credentials to log into RiverGuide. In RiverGuide, select “Menu” in the top left corner and then select ROAR Checklist. Select the option that applies to you, and follow the links on that page to sign up for the appropriate session.
A: All new freshmen students planning to attend PRCC are required to participate. Transfer students are also welcome to participate in the ROAR experience. You must complete your admissions file before attending your ROAR session. You should have received an acceptance letter from the Office of Admissions after completing the application process. Please call (601) 403-1214(Poplarville Campus) or (601) 554-5519 (Forrest County Center) or email email@example.com to verify your completion of the admissions process if you have not received an acceptance letter or e-mail. We also encourage you to begin the financial aid process by applying for FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Q: How long will ROAR take?
A: The time it takes to complete your ROAR Experience is completely up to you! Your ROAR Experience Canvas course should take no more than 30 minutes to complete. Your advising appointment will last about 30 minutes - 1 hour also. We encourage you to visit us in person for your appointment.
- Explore what RiverGuide, our student portal, has to offer
- How to schedule a Campus Tour
- How to prepare for your advisement appointment appointment
- How to take care of other college business (financial aid, student ID, etc.)
- and much more!
Q: What is a ROAR Express session?
A: ROAR Express sessions are shortened orientation sessions that we provide on campus during PRCC's Open Registration days. Just like our ROAR Experience, you will learn what you need to know to begin the semester at PRCC and will meet with an advisor to register for classes.
Q: Will I be able to get the schedule I need?
A: Absolutely! We make sure that each student who participates in ROAR enrolls in the courses they need for the upcoming semester.
- Your PRCC username and password that was e-mailed to you after you were accepted. It is very important you have this information with you at your ROAR session.
- Any ACT scores or transcripts that have not already been sent to the PRCC Admissions Office (including transcripts for any Dual Enrollment courses you have completed at another college). You will be unable to register for classes without first being accepted to PRCC through the Admissions Office. (Please note: The advising appointment will run much more smoothly for you if you send your transcripts to PRCC at least one week ahead of your advising appointment time.)
Q: Can my parents or a guest attend my advising appointment?
A: One parent or guest is welcome to join you.
Q: When can I apply for housing?
A: Please note, if you plan to stay in Student Housing, be aware that dorms typically stay full throughout the academic year. However, you are welcome to submit a housing application online through your RiverGuide account. You may email the Student Housing Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Q: When can I get a parking decal?
A: Parking decals are available for purchase for the new school year after June 1 and can be accessed online here or you can pay in person at the Business Office on campus. After purchasing your parking decal, it will be available for pickup at the Campus Police department when you're able to come to campus.
Q: When can I pay my bill?
A: Once your bill is generated, you can log into RiverGuide and pay using the Pay My Bill icon. This is a secured PayPal system. Summer tuition and fees are normally generated around the second week of May. Fall tuition and fees are generated the second week in July. Spring tuition and fees are generated around the second week of December. You can also set up a payment plan for any semester. Just click the Payment Plan option in RiverGuide to learn more. Email any questions regarding your bill to email@example.com. If you prefer to mail in a check, here's the address:
Pearl River Community College
101 Hwy 11 North Box 5060
Poplarville, MS 39470
Q: I am registered for ROAR, but I need to change my major. How can I make this change?
A: If you want to change your major, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-403-1250. Be sure to provide us with your student ID number and your new major.
If you have more questions:
Office of Student Success
Pearl River Community College offers equal education and employment opportunities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran status, or disability. For inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policy or to request accommodations, special assistance, or alternate format publications, contact Eddie Sandifer, ADA Coordinator, 101 Hwy 11 N., Poplarville, MS 39470 or 601-403-1215. For inquiries regarding Title IX, contact Alexandra Kennedy, Title IX Coordinator, at 101 Hwy 11 N., Poplarville, MS 39470 or 601-403-1253.