Susie Hall, RN
Poplarville Campus, Crosby Hall
Hours: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm Monday through Friday during Fall and Spring semesters.
We provide quality services to students, staff, and faculty that empower individuals to be well informed and self-directed participants in their own health. We believe that academic goals can be reached more efficiently and with fewer obstacles when you know the value of a healthy lifestyle and have the tools necessary to stay healthy.
Health Services is a nurse directed service staffed by a licensed registered nurse located on the Poplarville campus. We provide many services; however, we are not a clinic. We are dedicated to promoting health and wellness through nursing care and wellness counseling. We do not diagnose, and we do not have prescriptive authority. Appointments are not required for services.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Over-the-counter medications and first aid supplies,
- Assessment of illness and injury,
- Acute minor illness care,
- Acute injuries and first aid care,
- Nutritional counseling,
- *Referral and appointment assistance to appropriate health care providers (physicians, specialists, dentist, etc. at the student’s expense).
- Referrals to mental health providers,
- Wellness programs and events throughout the year (Ex. Immunization clinics).
- Tobacco cessation counseling,
- Blood Pressure, Weight, Heart Rate screenings,
- Emergency sanitary supplies for female students.
- Health education materials and resources.
- Pregnancy prevention counseling.
- Drug testing.
Students/staff requiring more extensive treatment and medical care will be referred to the appropriate facility such as urgent care, emergency room or their own health care provider. Students/staff will be responsible for the cost of off-campus services. If the Health Services office is closed students who need to seek emergency medical attention should contact 911 or campus police at 601-403-1300.
There is no charge for services for students currently enrolled at Pearl River Community College. All over-the-counter medications, first aid supplies, and other health related items and services are provided at no cost.
Class attendance policies are determined by the policies/procedures of the institution. Excuses are not provided by Health Services for absences from class. When a minor illness occurs which causes absence from class, it is the student’s responsibility to notify instructors of the reason for the absence. Extended illness, hospitalization, or family emergencies should be report to the Assistant Vice President of Student Services.
When you visit Health Services, you have the right to privacy, confidentiality, and to be treated with respect. All treatment is confidential. We do not maintain medical records nor do we release information outside of Pearl River Community College without your permission, except information necessary for public welfare/safety such as communicable disease, or as required, in our judgment, to protect you or others from immediate physical danger. We can only discuss student issues with parents of students 18 years of age and older with written permission/FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
Local Healthcare Providers
The Poplarville Clinic - Hattiesburg Clinic - Located next to Dollar General
1407 S Main St, Poplarville, MS 39470
Tel: (601) 795-0659. Fax: (601) 795-8639.
HOURS. Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.. AFTER HOURS: Monday – Friday 5 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.. Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.. Sunday 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Pearl River Family Clinic
302 US-11, Poplarville, MS 39470
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. –5 p.m.
Lumberton Family Health Center - Southeast MS Rural Health
598 West 11 th Ave. Lumberton, MS 39455
Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Walk-Ins Welcome – Discounts for those who qualify
Picayune Family Health Center – Southeast MS Rural Health
1911 Read Road, Picayune, MS 39466
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Walk-Ins Welcome – Discounts for those who qualify
Pearl River County Hospital and Nursing Home
305 W. Moody Street, Poplarville, MS 39470
Highland Community Hospital
130 Highland Parkway
Picayune, MS 39466
Forrest General Hospital
6051 US 49, Hattiesburg, MS 39401
Open 24 hours
- Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services – Hattiesburg - 1-888-574-HOPE (4673).
- Pine Grove Outreach Center – Picayune - 601-799-0849
- Teen Challenge of MS – Poplarville - 601-795-8063
- Pearl River Family Clinic Behavioral Health – Poplarville – 601-403-8284
- Mississippi Department of Mental Health – 1-877-210-8513 – http://www.dmh.ms.gov/
- National Drug Helpline – 1-800-236-1651
- SAMHSA National Helpline – 1-800-662-4357 - https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline
Pearl River Community College Health Services provides free educational information that discusses health risk issues that college students may encounter. Some of the issues college students may face include but are not limited to:
- Stress, anxiety, and depression that may lead to suicidal thoughts or threats,
- Common colds, flu, sore throats, or other acute illnesses,
- Substance abuse that may include alcohol, drugs, and tobacco,
- Difficulty sleeping that can negatively impact your life,
- Intimate partner violence, stalking, harassment,
- Sexual health issues,
- COVID-19 exposure or signs and symptoms.