What is the Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars Program?
The Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars (MWCTS) Program is a state assisted tuition scholarship program for eligible community college students, which provides financial assistance for tuition costs associated with eligible career-tech programs at each community college.
Who is eligible to receive MWCTS funds?
To be eligible for the MWCTS Program, a person must meet the following requirements:
- Be a legal resident of Mississippi who is admitted to both a public community college and an eligible career-tech program.
- Be a full-time student and successfully complete an established number of hours in an eligible career-tech program. If a student fails to successfully complete the established number of hours in an eligible career-tech program or a 2.0 minimum GPA to maintain eligibility, the student may be classified as probationary for one semester in order to continue participating in the Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars Program.
- The MWCTS Program is available to previous postsecondary completers that earned a certificate or degree, pending compliance of admission criteris.
What are the requirements for students to complete in order to receive MWCTS funds?
Once admitted to the Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars Program, participants must:
- Be a full-time student according to the community college's policy and maintain full-time enrollment.
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA each semester and successfully complete courses as prescribed by the program curriculum.
- Participate in available work-based learning opportunities in the selected field of study.
What is covered by the scholarship?
The MWCTS Program will only provide payment for tuition not covered by federal grants, state grants, and WIOA funds. Additional fees and other costs associated with the chosen career-tech program are the responsibility of the student.
Which programs are eligible for the scholarship?
At Pearl River Community College, the following career-tech programs are eligible for the MWCTS Program:
- Dental Assisting Technology
- Dental Hygiene Technology
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Respiratory Care Technology
- Surgical Technology
- Biomedical Equipment Repair Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Instrumentation Technology
- Precision Manufacturing & Machine Technology
- Welding & Cutting Technology
How do students apply for the scholarship?
**New applications are not currently being accepted**
To apply for the MWCTS Program, please complete the application (see the link below) and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid on the Poplarville Campus of Pearl River Community College. The form must either be submitted in person or mailed to 101 Highway 11 North, Box 5120, Poplarville, MS 39470. The application WILL NOT be accepted by e-mail or fax.
Is there a deadline to apply?
Yes, students must adhere to the following deadlines:
- Fall semester - September 1 (we are no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2019 semester)
- Spring semester - February 1 (new applications are not being accepted for the Spring 2020 semester)
- Summer semester - June 1
If further assistance is needed, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 601-403-1029.