Financial Aid

Federal Programs

Students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for consideration of assistance from federal grants, work-study employment, and student loans. To be eligible for federal aid, you must:

  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Maintain compliance with the PRCC Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan or owe money on a federal student grant

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. For many students, Pell Grant awards provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added. Eligibility is determined from the information provided on the FAFSA. Maximum and minimum awards are determined annually by the U.S. Department of Education and awards are based on student enrollment status. Students may be eligible for the Pell Grant for a maximum of 12 full-time semesters.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. FSEOG funds are limited and priority is given to students who receive a Federal Pell Grant and meet the priority filing deadline. Consideration is given to eligible student on a first-come, first-served basis. Maximum and minimum awards are determined annually based on the funds available.

Federal Work-Study

Federal work-study provides on-campus jobs for students with financial need. Students earn money as part of their financial aid award and are paid monthly. FWS funds are limited and awards are based upon the priority funding date. Award amounts can vary based on availability of funds and other aid awarded. Students are allowed to work ONLY during the first two years of enrollment (four semesters) and the summer terms before and after the freshman year.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans

The U.S. Department of Education funds subsidized, unsubsidized, and parent loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at participating schools. All loans are borrowed money that must be repaid with interest and students must be enrolled in at least six semester hours to be eligible for a loan. 

Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. The school determines the amount the student can borrow and the amount may not exceed financial need. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on this loan while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time, during the six month grace period, and during a period of deferment.  There is a maximum period of time that a student can receive Direct Subsidized Loans based on the length of the current program of study.  Subsidized loan offers may be adjusted to stay within this limit.
*Note: Students who received a Direct Subsidized Loan that was first disbursed between July 1, 2012 and July 1, 2014 were responsible for paying any interest that accrued during the grace period. Choosing not to pay the interest that accumulated during the grace period resulted in the interest being added to the principal balance. 

Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students; there is not a requirement to demonstrate financial need. The school determines the amount the student can borrow based in the cost of attendance and other financial aid received. The student is responsible for paying the interest on the loan during all periods. If the student chooses not to pay the interest while in school, during grace periods, and deferment or forbearance periods, the interest accumulates and added to the principal amount of the loan.

Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available to parents of dependent undergraduate students to assist with college costs. The borrower must not have an adverse credit history (based on credit report) and the maximum loan amount is the student’s cost of attendance minus any other financial aid received.  Parents can complete the PLUS loan application at the Federal Student Aid website.