Financial Aid

Applying for Federal Student Loans

Pearl River Community College (PRCC) is committed to promoting student success through responsible student loan borrowing. Student loans are borrowed money that has to be repaid, with interest, to the U.S. Department of Education.

Loans are not automatically included in a student’s financial aid package. A loan request form must be completed and submitted. To apply for loans at PRCC, students must:

  • Complete PRCC admission requirements and be enrolled in an eligible certificate or degree program. Loans are awarded based on the student’s entire academic history. Therefore, transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended must be submitted to the Office of Admissions.
  • Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If selected for verification, this process must be complete for requested documents and corrections to FAFSA information BEFORE the loan request form can be reviewed.
  • Complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at
  • Complete and submit the Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form and Signature Page. This form is available from the Office of Financial Aid at the Poplarville campus and at the Forrest Count and Hancock Centers.
  • Be enrolled for at least six (6) semester hours. Students who are attending multiple sessions within the semester cannot be paid loans until attendance has begun in six (6) hours.
  • Meet PRCC Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is available at and in the PRCC online catalog.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS: Institutional policy at PRCC prohibits the further certification of federal student loans for students who have borrowed an aggregate limit of $23,000 in either subsidized and/or unsubsidized loans. Students with these circumstances must make other payment arrangements for financing college costs.