Crosby Hall


Q:    What counseling services are available?
A:    The Counseling Centers located on the Poplarville Campus and Forrest County Campus offer a full range of services. These services include personal, career, and educational counseling in the academic and career-technical areas. View

Q:    How many credits do I need to take to be considered a full-time student?
A:    A full-time student must maintain a minimum course load of 12 semester hours, of which at least 9 hours must be other than activity courses. Anything below 12 semester hours is considered part-time status. For additional information see the Student Course Load section in the PRCC catalog (

Q:    What majors/programs of study and degrees do you offer?
A:    A student at Pearl River Community College may choose the University Transfer or Academic Program, a Technical Program, or a Career Program. 

    The University Transfer or Academic Program is recommended for a student who intends to transfer to a college or university to earn a bachelor’s degree. This program is designed to meet the requirements of the first two years of a college or university program leading to a bachelor’s degree. A student completing the university transfer program of study may be awarded the Associate in Arts (AA) Degree.

    A Technical Program, including Allied Health and Associate Degree Nursing programs, is recommended for a student seeking preparation for employment in a field that does not require a bachelor’s degree. Each of these programs has specific requirements that a student must meet to earn the Associate in Applied Science Degree.

    A Career Program is recommended for a student seeking training in the skills necessary for employment in a specific occupational field. Career courses are not transferable. A student completing a Career program is awarded a Certificate of Proficiency.

     See page 50 in the catalog for additional information.

Q:    What courses do I need for my major?
A:    Courses required for Career and Technical programs are listed in the college catalog (see page 70).

Q:    How do I change my major/program of study?
A:    See your advisor to change your major or program of study. If you are not advised an advisor at this time, email for assistance.

Q:    Where do I find information about the ACT?
A:    You can find information about the ACT and register for the national ACT at You may also visit the Counseling Center for more information.

Q:    How many courses can I transfer?
A:    The PRCC catalog states “A student following a transfer program of student has the opportunity to earn the Associate in Arts degree and can typically transfer up to one-half of the total semester hours required for a bachelor’s degree at a university or four-year college.”

Q:    Will developmental courses transfer?
A:    Effective fall 2011, developmental courses will no longer apply toward any associate degree at PRCC. These courses do not transfer; however, they will be calculated in your G.P.A. at PRCC.

Q:    Will a “D” transfer?
A:    You must contact your transfer institution for their policy on the transfer of a “D”. Some colleges and universities do not accept courses in which a grade of “D” has been earned.

Q:    Where can I find applications and information on PRCC health care programs?
A:    Allied Health program applications and information are available in the Health Sciences and Nursing section. Click here to visit Health Sciences and Nursing page. Allied Health applications and information are also available in the Counseling, Advisement and Placement Center (Poplarville: 601-403-1250) and each Allied Health program office (Forrest County Center main number: 601-554-5555).

    Associate Degree Nursing program information and the application packet may be found on the Associate Degree Nursing webpage. For additional information regarding the application process, please contact the Department of Nursing Education at 601-403-1016/1017.

    Practical Nursing program applications and information are available on the Practical Nursing webpage. Practical Nursing applications and information are also available in the Counseling, Advisement, and Placement Center (Poplarville Campus: 601-403-1250) and the Career Technical Department (Forrest County Center: 601-403-1827).

Q:    What are the requirements for transferring to a four-year college?
A:    In order to meet admission requirements for transfer to a Mississippi public university, a student must meet one of the following:    

  • Earn an Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree from PRCC with a minimum grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  • Meet the requirements for entering freshmen at the university and earn an overall 2.0 grade point average on all college hours attempted.
  • Attain a C average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in the following twenty-six (26) semester credit hours:
    *  English Composition –6 semester hours
    *  College Algebra or higher-level mathematics—3 semester hours
    *  Laboratory Sciences—8 semester hours
    *  Transferable electives—9 semester hours
    *  Most colleges require a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0; however, the G.P.A. requirement for acceptance in your major may be higher. You must contact your transfer institution for their policy on transfer G.P.A.